Barons CourtPosted on: March 23, 2018, by : gravenhurst
Is a small area in between West Kensington and Hammersmith. While many would think the area is named Barons court in relation to nearby Earls Court, there is no evidence of this. The area was developed by Sir William Palliser. He had connections to the Barons Court estate in Ireland.
Barons Court underground station is a stop on the Piccadilly line which has connections from Heathrow airport to central London. The tracks to Barons Court was built in 1874 as part of the railway expansion west but the area was mainly open fields and gardens. There was no need for a station to service the area. Barons Court station only opened in 1905 when the area was developed for housing.
In the present day, the area appeals to young professionals and families. Its classic Victorian red brick mansions and purpose-built flats are good value for money, compared to nearby Fulham, while it is close enough to Fulham for families to enjoy the amenities there.
Barons Court is home to The Queens Club, the first multi-purpose sports centre to be built in the world. It was established in 1886 with Queen Victoria as its first patron. It had hosted many sporting events like rugby, athletics and ice-skating, including the annual Oxford – Cambridge matches, until the crowds got too big for the venue. The sports were subsequently moved to bigger venues in Twickenham and Wembley. The club still hosts the annual Queens Club lawn tennis tournament. It is now a private membership club with rumoured waiting list of 15 years.
In 1973, the Charing Cross hospital was moved to its present location in Barons Court. The hospital was established in 1818 in near the Strand at Charing Cross before being moved several times to cope with demand. Presently, it is a general teaching hospital and part of the Imperial College NHS Healthcare. Notable alumni from the hospital includes Dr. Thomas Huxley, who found Imperial College, and Dr. David Livingstone who qualified as a doctor but became a famous explorer,